Thursday 20 January 2011

GB40

Gary Barlow is 40 years old today everyone. And he's nailed his birthday like only he could.

His concert, thankfully broadcast on Radio 2 so as to avoid mass suicide I am sure, was unbelievable.

Let me give you a slight background into my love. I have idolised Gary Barlow since before I was born. 'How is that possible?' you may ask. Some parents play their unborn children Mozart, others Beethoven, mine Take That. And I was born about 5 months after they released their first single, so it wasn't even the good stuff. I believe I was 2 years of age when I first declared my intention to marry one Gary Barlow. I was 4 when I wrote my name on the album liner notes of one of the greatest albums of all time, 'Take That and Party'. My mother was not amused. I had a life sized Take That poster on my door, a poster that was tragically thrown away when the door got broken and discarded. Fear not, the image remains engraved in my memory. It was so tasteful. I carried a Take That ringbinder around secondary school before they even considered getting back together. My mum still has a leather keyring on her car keys from her original Take That fan club membership. I have a blanket knitted by a friend of Gary's grandmother, something I have been bragging about since I was able to talk. I have seen them twice since they reunited and have tickets for this year's tour. And, most recently, my wonderful auntie managed to get me Gary's actual autograph. It's personalised as well. Don't, I'll cry...

I love him if you haven't guessed. I had his doll. I had all their videos, still do. So for Gary to do this, although I'm suicidal about not being there myself, it has managed to make me, his biggest original fan under the age of 20, the happiest girl in the entire land. Scratch that, his biggest original fan. I'd trample the rest.

His voice is amazing. His songs are amazing. His band are amazing. I have cried four individual times over the duration of the broadcast. His talent knows no bounds. None at all. How can you write 'A Million Love Songs' at 15 and continue to get better and better? It's unthinkable genius. I'm genuinely struggling to comment properly and sufficiently on tonight's performance...

The thing with Gary Barlow, and with Take That in general, is that they represent, for so many people, complete and utter happiness. I know that since the reunion, the others have chipped in with the song writing, but you can tell where the real magic comes from. Not to take anything away from the others because I adore them. But Gary, he's a real hero. I would go as far as to say he is one of the greatest song writers of the past 20 years. He's easily in the top 5. And that's not even bias. A gig like that, in a venue as intimate as the Shepherd's Bush Empire, must have been just magical. One of Gary's main talents is, that even seeing him perform at an 80,000 capacity stadium, he can make it feel as though you're right at the front. I think it's his voice. And his warmth. He's so beautifully Northern and so unapologetic about it. I love that. I think that the general impression of Gary Barlow to those who don't love Take That is that he's some old dad-like man that sings cheesy pop songs. I think a lot of people that he's out of touch and corny. I say that those people are ignorant arses who need to get over themselves. They are wrong. His knowledge of music, his passion for music, his eagerness to learn from newer artists, his eagerness to learn from anyone... He's just Northern. Wonderfully, perfectly Northern. He's so well respected and loved by some of the best people in the music industry (cough, Brandon Flowers, cough) that it is near impossible to discredit him as a musician. Slag him off to Elton John, see what'll happen then...

The only issue I have with tonight's performance was the guests. Ellie Goulding was random and unnecessary and didn't sing particularly well. But that was fine. She was on and off. Here is my main issue: Chris Martin. Now, I like Coldplay. I do not love Coldplay, nor do I love Chris Martin. If anything, he annoys me greatly. But dear God, he was terrible. I was so excited when Gary announced him onto stage and then he proceeded to sing, completely off key and out of tune, one of the greatest songs in the world. Yes, I'm talking about 'Back for Good'. I bet Gwyneth was humiliated. And the thing is, I've seen YouTube videos of them singing it, albeit, with Brandon Flowers and Bono helping, and it was amazing. Maybe it was the pressure of Gary's 40th birthday. And all that Take That fans. That's surely enough to stress any one out, although he deserves no excuses. It was terrible. Thanks for ruining Gary's birthday, Chris. Idiot. Oh, and Jo Whiley butting in every 3 seconds to explain the obvious. That was really annoying. And really really unnecessaary. Thanks, Jo, but I think Gary's got it covered. He always does.

Anyway, Happy Birthday, Gary! Such a great day for the nation. Such a great day for the world. Whilst I declare my adoration for the great man wherever I go without thought or shame, I have never been prouder to be a Gary Barlow die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment