Monday 25 October 2010

The Event

This show is seriously messed up. Like, seriously. But I love it.

Firstly, Jason Ritter is v v cute and I love him. Secondly, Luke Danes of Gilmore Girls fame is a weirdo. Thirdly, Blair Underwood isn't as good a President as I imagined him to be.

I missed it on Friday and so caught up with it over the weekend and am now so totally confused but completely hooked. I think it wants to be the new Lost, which, of course, is a highly unrealistic aim. It's Lost mixed with Invasion, a show that I adored but most people seem to think I made up. I didn't. I swear to you it existed and it was about aliens. And it had Eddie Cibrian in it, before he went and whored it up with Leann Rimes. I'm getting off point. It's no where near as good as Lost, because for some reason, the more unrealistic Lost became, the more I believed it. You follow? I have already failed to suspend my disbelief with The Event. But it keeps coming back.

I kinda wish this show had jibbed the aliens. I feel they are largely unnecessary. It's totally believable until they're all like, "Mr President, these people are not of terrestrial origin." Erm... why not? Why do they have to be aliens. I might just ignore that part of the show. Although, it has put me on edge a bit. How do we know that there aren't aliens wandering down the street, living next door to us? For all we know, they sit around Downing Street panicking that the aliens are going to start some sort of revolution and kill us all. I sincerely hope that this is not the case. I don't like the idea of aliens. I don't even like the word 'alien'. Thank God it's just a TV show.

The idea of it is is that Jason Ritter takes his very pretty girlfriend who happens to be Luke Danes' daughter on a cruise where he plans to propose. Whilst on this cruise, Jason Ritter who plays Sean Walker, saves a woman's life because her 'boyfriend' has a broken arm and can't swim. Then they totally geg in on Sean Walker's holiday and then, all of a sudden, whilst Sean Walker is off snorkling with the girl he saved, his girlfriend is kidnapped and all traces of him are removed from the ship. Now he has to try and find her. Then there is some sort of plane crash, where the plane is aimed at the President's party house and then, just before it hits, vanishes into thin air. This is because President Blair Underwood was about to announce his knowledge of the aliens on earth and attempt to integrate them into society, and they somehow stopped the plane by absorbing it in some sort of electromagnetic field and crashing it in the Arizona desert instead.

Jason Ritter/Sean Walker knows most of this, but now, he has been arrested for a murder he didn't commit, and no one even believes he has a girlfriend. To prove that she is real, he announces, "We were going to get married." If that's not cold hard evidence, I don't know what is. But I love a good conspiracy, and even though this one has disappointed me with the inclusion of aliens, when I watch it, I feel almost claustrophobic, trapped, much how I imagine Sean Walker to feel. It stresses me out. They've managed to very cleverly make Sean Walker a very empathetic character, I want him to solve it now. It ruins my life that no one believes him, and I now feel like I can't trust anyone ever again. For all I know, they're part of a real alien conspiracy. Jason Ritter is the only one who can help me. Much like Dennis Quaid is the only one who will save us when the earth begins to freeze over.

It's tense though. Really tense, and even though you know that everything is going to continually go wrong for Sean Walker, it still makes you go, "NOOOO!" when it happens. Poor, Sean Walker. He's so pretty and all he wants to do is find his girlfriend and get his identity back. Why won't they let him!? Why!?

Oh, and I'm almost certain that they're using the West Wing set for President Blair Underwood's scenes. Loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment